Hawai‘i is a healing place, and not just because of the soothing sounds of waves crashing on the shore or the warmth of the sun on your back.
Hawaiian culture traditionally stressed the importance of healing both body and spirit. From this belief, traditional practices such as LOMILOMI MASSAGE and HAWAIIAN SALT RITUALS originated. Lomilomi is a type of massage that focuses on easing stress and bringing harmony to the recipient as a whole, while Hawaiian salt rituals emulate the healing effect believed to come from ocean water while cleansing pores and rejuvenating skin.
LA‘AU LAPA‘AU, or HERBAL HEALING, is another such practice.
In addition to traditional Hawaiian treatments, spas offer facials, Swedish massage and more. On Kaua‘i, it is easy to walk into an island spa or massage clinic. Most local resorts offer spa services, with a wide variety of health and beauty treatments, exercise and massage.
In addition to resort spas, there are other PRIVATE SPAS that offer Hawaiian-based treatments at reasonable prices. Resorts also may offer ON-CALL SERVICES that bring the massage therapist to you. And, of course, if you prefer a sea breeze with your massage, just say so. Many resorts and spa services offer pool and oceanfront massage.
1. Arrive between 15 to 30 minutes early.
2. Turn off your mobile phone.
3. Let your therapist know of any health concerns.
4. Tips are usually 15 to 20 percent. If you are using a gift certificate, ask if the tip is included.
5. If something is not quite right (the pressure of the massage, for example), let your therapist know.
• Anara Spa (808) 240-6440