Get Festive on the Big IslandBig Island
In Hawai‘i, “keeping it local” and celebrating island food, art and culture are important. For many Hawai‘i residents, local support is the only thing that keeps them afloat, and for visitors and kama‘aina (locals) alike, cultural fun creates amiable festivities. Celebrate Hawaiian-style at these BIG ISLAND FESTIVALS AND EVENTS:
• KA‘U COFFEE FESTIVAL: The annual Ka‘u Coffee Festival celebrates award-winning Ka‘u coffee on May 19-28. The event takes place at the Pahala Community Center and offers coffee, food, crafts and entertainment for attendees. Some events are free while others have a fee. Visit kaucoffeefestival.com for more info.
• KING KAMEHAMEHA DAY CELEBRATION: The historic King Kamehameha Festival takes place on Mokuola in Hilo Bay on June 11 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The festival pays tribute to the Royal Order of Kamehameha and features traditional Hawaiian dance, music, arts and crafts. The annual King Kamehameha Day Celebration Parade takes place before the festival at 9 a.m. from the Royal Kona Resort along Ali‘i Drive, past Kamakahonu by the pier, then up Palani Road to Kuakini Highway. Visit kamehamehafestival.org or konaparade.org.
• ALOHA KEIKI RUN: The Kona Marathon’s Aloha Keiki Run takes place on Saturday, June 17 at 8 a.m. Join a morning of fun for the whole family, filled with live entertainment, goodie bags for all participants, face painting and more. Early registration and same-day registration cost $15, and race check-in is at
Kona Commons. For more info, visit konamarathon.com/event-information/aloha-keiki-run.
• TROPICAL INSPIRATIONS QUILT SHOW: On July 22-23, the Tropical Inspirations Quilt Show takes place from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Courtyard by Marriot in Kailua-Kona. The weekend event features entries from the local quilting community as well as quilts across the country, promoting the art and culture of Hawaiian quilts. This is a free event. Visit tropicalinspirationsquiltshow. weebly.com for more info.
• KOKUA KAILUA IN HISTORIC KAILUA VILLAGE: From 1-6 p.m. on a chosen Sunday each month (May 21, June 11, July 16, August 20), oceanfront Ali‘i Drive along the scenic Kailua Bay in Historic Kailua Village becomes a festive pedestrian-only marketplace. Enjoy live music, local shopping and dining. Visit historicalkailuavillage.com/kokua-kailua for more info.
NOTE: All event dates and times are subject to change.For updates, visit gohawaii.com.