Taste the Quiet Life on Lana‘iMaui

Hawaiian legends describe LANA‘I as a burning-red island inhabited by bands of cannibalistic, howling demons. Today’s version bears no resemblance. Instead, this sparsely populated visitor destination, with about 3,100 residents, is a LUXURIOUS SANCTUARY developed to satisfy a visitor’s every whim. There are no traffic lights and few distractions, save for those fashioned by nature.

Lana‘i is a PRIVATELY OWNED RESORT destination known for its luxurious accommodations and seclusion. For generations, pineapple plantations were the dominant source of income on the island. (In fact, Lana‘i is known as “THE PINEAPPLE ISLAND” and holds an ANNUAL FESTIVAL devoted to the syrupy-sweet fruit each July.

In the ’80s, entrepreneur David Murdock purchased the island and converted the pineapple fields to exclusive resorts and golf courses. Today, it is owned by Oracle CEO Larry Ellison.

The resorts—MANELE BAY and THE LODGE AT KOELE—are operated by FOUR SEASONS, and have received top ratings by Conde Nast Traveler readers. Due to a multi-million-dollar renovation of the resorts, both properties were closed. In 2016, the beach resort reopened as Four Seasons Resort Lana‘i.

Ellison purchased Murdock’s share of the island (98 percent; the State of Hawai‘i owns the remaining 2 percent) in June 2012, with plans to invest as much as $500 million toward improving the island’s infrastructure, creating an environmentally friendly agriculture industry.

• Expeditions (808) 661-3756
Hawai’i Ocean Project (808) 667-6165
Maui Adventure Cruises (808) 661-5550
Trilogy Excursions (808) 874-5649 or (888) 225-6284